Tuesday, March 16, 2010

A Close Call

Just down the road from my home; within walking distance, there is a small Chinese restaurant standing alone in the parking lot of a crowded shopping strip on very busy street. I have often found myself coming here when I crave Chinese food and am short on cash, which of course is most of the time. For just under five dollars you can get a fairly large plate of food.

I always order the same thing when I go there, I don’t even think about it. “A-18 please.” I pay and go sit down with a pen and my notebook so that I can get some writing done. I am always distracted however, no matter where I sit; by the TV, normally set on a Chinese game show channel were the games always look just a little painful. And why are there always very young girls cheering in the background?

It’s not long before my food is brought out, I gab my fork, my eyes glued to the screen where the next vic…contestant is taking his or her place on the…well I have no idea what that is, but it looks like its going to hurt. The first bite is almost to my mouth when something tells me to look down, chicken. Crap! I groan rather loudly, but no one looks my way; my groan is downed out by the contestant on the TV who can probably never have children now.

I however stare down in horror at the plate of food in front of me, I just spent my last five dollars on a plate of food most of which I don’t want to eat. I shake my head, and begin eating the rice. My roommate loved the chicken when I brought it home to her. Oh well… live and learn. I’ll miss you A-18.

No comments:

Post a Comment